Sunday, November 27, 2005

The "what if" game, Texas version

Ah, the twisted sense of humor that fate has. If it wasn't for one poor decision by a coach, a Big Ten team could be in the Rose Bowl facing USC.

Wait, you say - poor decision? What bad decision did Paterno make? Maybe that punt to Breaston in the Michigan game?

Oh, no, that's not the decision I'm talking about. I'm talking about Tressel's decision not to play Troy Smith versus Texas. Anyone who saw the Texas A&M game can see that Texas has a weakness - you can't run an option over thirty times in a game, have it constantly work, and have that not be a weakness.

Granted, the team in the Rose Bowl would be OSU, but still. After last weekend, that decision has to rank as the stupidest decision of the year by a coach.

Which leads me to the "what if" game. What if USC loses to UCLA, and Penn State somehow ends up playing Texas in the Rose Bowl? Was the Texas A&M game random? That you'd never convince me of - the linebackers and secondary of Texas were constantly overpursuing, and the Aggies freshman QB had no problem deciding when to pitch, and when to run. Even after halftime, when the game was in doubt, Texas still didn't adjust.

So what does this all mean? It means that I'm strongly considering moving Texas down to #3 on my own Top 25 (which I will probably post tomorrow), making me a complete shameless homer, I know. But if Penn State played Texas on a neutral field, I think Penn State would win. Texas's defense showed too many holes, too many fatal flaws - and ones that PSU's offense are precisely designed to exploit. OSU contained Texas's "OMG 50 PPG!!" offense to only the mid-twenties, so they're not unstoppable. Had it been Penn State's defense in the Texas A&M game, Texas would've lost. Easily. Penn State versus Texas? PSU 28, Texas 25.

USC version coming after the USC/UCLA game.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike L said...

Too bad for that fumble when A&M was driving late. I just don't see Colorado beating Texas, but you never know.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Pat said...

I can't tell you how many swear words I used during that game. The announcer cracked me up - "You think the folks in Happy Valley are watching this game?" Why yes, yes we were. We were also wondering how in God's name Ohio State didn't beat that team.

2:00 PM

 
Blogger Mike L said...

Seriously. I just want a crack at USC or Texas. I know we can play with them. Go Buffs and Bruins!

4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home